Colorful Market Basket: Basketry Tutorial
This self-paced basketry course will teach you the skills and techniques to complete a Colorful Market Basket. Using video, visual, and written instructions, Brittany will walk you through using rattan reed and basketry tools to make a handwoven basket. This colorful market basket is a fun twist on a traditional basket style. Called a market basket because of its classic use as a shopping basket, this style continues to be a popular basket shape. Take this beautiful basket to the farmers market, decorate your home, or give it as a gift basket. Using dyed reed, the weaver can play with color, size, and shape to create a unique pattern in the basket weave.
This course is intended for beginners to intermediate basket weavers. Previous basket weaving experience is optional.
- Step-by-step video tutorial of the entire basket-weaving process
- Brittany will show and explain how to do each technique. The video presents multiple angles to give the best instructional experience
- Illustrated instruction manual
- Clear photo instructions
- Materials and tools list
- Cut list - lengths of stakes and spokes
- Suggested resources for materials and tools
- Additional basket weaving resources and inspiration
- Rattan Basket Weaving Guidebook by Brittany Stanton
- Explanation of different reed types
- Tools used in rattan basket weaving
Basketry skills and techniques learned in this course:
- Two-tone layered stake technique
- Open base
- Weaving with a handle
- Plain weave
- Working a weaving pattern
- Weaving with seagrass
- How to dye reed (bonus tutorial)
- Using multiple reed sizes and shapes
- Setting up a rim
- Basic lashing with a handle
This basket course covers rattan basket weaving techniques. The material we use is called rattan reed and is processed from a tropical vine. The vine is turned into different sizes and shapes and imported as a basket weaving material. Resources for this material are included in the instruction manual.
The approximate completed size of this basket:
Dimensions: 8-inch x 12-inch base, 7-inch walls, 12-inch handle
- Please note that every basket will turn out slightly different depending on the person weaving. No two baskets are identical, as this is a handcrafted piece, and each weaver will approach the process slightly differently. The dimensions included here are the intended outcome but may be altered or turn out slightly smaller or larger.
Included: pattern, videos for each step, instruction booklet, rattan weaving guidebook