Small Melon Basket Weaving Course
This self-paced basketry course will teach you the skills and techniques to complete a Mini Melon Basket. Using video, visual, and written instructions, Brittany will walk you through using rattan reed and basketry tools to make a handwoven basket. The mini melon is a straightforward exploration of ribbed basketry, a style employing ribs that run diagonally across the basket. The melon basket is named due to its rounded melon-like shape. It's the perfect size to collect summer tomatoes, hide the remotes, or use as a gift basket.
This is intended for intermediate basket weavers. If you are new to basket weaving, consider taking Brittany’s Cross-Stitch Napkin Basket Course to learn foundational basketry techniques before attempting this basket.
- Step-by-step video tutorial of the entire basket-weaving process
- Brittany will show and explain how to do each technique. The video presents multiple angles to give the best instructional experience
- Illustrated instruction manual
- Clear photo instructions
- Materials and tools list
- Cut list - lengths of stakes and spokes
- Suggested resources for materials and tools
- Additional basket weaving resources and inspiration
- Rattan Basket Weaving Guidebook by Brittany Stanton
- Explanation of different reed types
- Tools used in rattan basket weaving
Basketry skills and techniques learned in this course:
- Working with hoops
- Cutting and trimming ribs
- Working with flat reed
- Weaving over a rim
- Ribbed basketry
- Weaving a gods eye
This basket course covers rattan basket weaving techniques. The material we use is called rattan reed and is processed from a tropical vine. The vine is turned into different sizes and shapes and imported as a basket weaving material. Resources for this material are included in the instruction manual.
The approximate completed size of this basket:
Dimensions: 10 inches in diameter
- Please note that every basket will turn out slightly different depending on the person weaving. No two baskets are identical, as this is a handcrafted piece, and each weaver will approach the process slightly differently. The dimensions included here are the intended outcome but may be altered or turn out slightly smaller or larger.
Included: pattern, videos for each step, instruction booklet, rattan weaving guidebook