Handled Storage Basket: Basketry Tutorial
This self-paced basketry course will teach you the skills and techniques to complete a Handled Storage Basket. Using video, visual, and written instructions, Brittany will walk you through using rattan reed and basketry tools to make a handwoven basket. This basket features built-in handles and a twill weave structure. The design is based on old-style bushel baskets used at harvest time to collect produce from the orchard and garden. While the size of this basket is not "official: bushel basket size, a nod to garden harvesting is inherent to the design. The handles make this basket a convenient storage solution. Make one or a dozen to solve your storage conundrums.
This course is intended for beginners to intermediate basket weavers. Previous basket weaving experience is optional.
- Step-by-step video tutorial of the entire basket-weaving process
- Brittany will show and explain how to do each technique. The video presents multiple angles to give the best instructional experience
- Illustrated instruction manual
- Clear photo instructions
- Materials and tools list
- Cut list - lengths of stakes and spokes
- Suggested resources for materials and tools
- Additional basket weaving resources and inspiration
- Rattan Basket Weaving Guidebook by Brittany Stanton
- Explanation of different reed types
- Tools used in rattan basket weaving
Basketry skills and techniques learned in this course:
- Closed base basket design
- Rectangular basket
- Twill weave
- Plaine weave
- Building in handles
- Setting up a rim
- Basic Lashing
This basket course covers rattan basket weaving techniques. The material we use is called rattan reed and is processed from a tropical vine. The vine is turned into different sizes and shapes and imported as a basket weaving material. Resources for this material are included in the instruction manual.
The approximate completed size of this basket:
Dimensions: 12-inch x 9-inch base, 10 inches tall.
- Please note that every basket will turn out slightly different depending on the person weaving. No two baskets are identical, as this is a handcrafted piece, and each weaver will approach the process slightly differently. The dimensions included here are the intended outcome but may be altered or turn out slightly smaller or larger.
Included: pattern, videos for each step, instruction booklet, rattan weaving guidebook